Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Paleo - Real Hazelnut Vanilla Milk For Your Coffee

Updated! We bought a blender, and a coffee maker!

Oh, how I miss my hazelnut coffee creamer. That chemical filled sweet syrupy white stuff that isn't even food.

So I set out to find a substitute. Isn't that stupid? I have to find a real-food substitute for a chemical laden soup of artificial flavor. When did the chemicals become the norm, and the real food become something we have to work hard to find?

Anyway, I think I've come pretty close.

Here's what I did:

1 c. raw hazelnuts
water for soaking
3 c. water
1 tsp. real vanilla extract (note to self, learn how to make your own)

Paleo Vanilla Hazelnut Creamer for my Coffee


Soak your raw hazelnuts in enough water to cover them for eight hours, or overnight. Strain and rinse the nuts very well. Soaking helps remove the phytic acid from the surface of the nuts, and makes them a bit softer for easier blending.

Blend the nuts and about 3 cups water on high for one full minute. The liquid should turn white and any bits of nut fiber and remaining skin will emulsify.

Paleo Vanilla Hazelnut Creamer for my Coffee


Let it sit for a minute or two and skim some of the foam off the top with a spoon.

Paleo Vanilla Hazelnut Creamer for my Coffee


Strain the liquid into a container through a cheese cloth,(I used a common Brazilian cloth coffee filter, picked up at our local farmer's market for about a dollar), squeezing out every last drop (this part felt a bit like milking a cow). Stir in vanilla to taste, a few drops at a time.

Paleo Vanilla Hazelnut Creamer for my Coffee
Be more careful than me. I missed, and had the tiniest bit of grit in my coffee. The dangers of pouring while trying to take a photo!


Pour as much of the mixture into your coffee as you like, put your feet up and enjoy the morning! I found that it's not as strong of a flavor as the store bought fake stuff, so I used about 1/4 cup.

If you want a sweeter flavor, add a bit of honey, maple syrup or stevia. I used a bit of raw honey.

The milk should last for five days or so in the refrigerator. You'll need to give it a stir before pouring. You can also freeze it in ice cube trays for individual servings for your coffee, just remember to take out a cube and put it in your cup to thaw well before you pour in the coffee.

Paleo Vanilla Hazelnut Creamer for my Coffee


If you're making this to drink straight, you should use more water. I've read anywhere from five to seven cups depending on your taste preferences.


Have you tried it? Leave a comment and let me know if it worked, and if you'd change anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment